Convince Your Boss You Need New Email Marketing Software
There’s nothing more nerve-racking than knowing you have to convince your boss you need new email marketing software.
You wish it were as simple as this: You make the case to your boss, and then they immediately give you the go-ahead.
But when you have to learn new software and start budgeting for it, uncertainty can win out (especially with your boss).
» Free Bonus: Click here to get access to free blueprints to 10 proven marketing automation drip campaigns.
Why is email marketing software important?
Email marketing teams sometimes struggle with limited budgets that prevent them from getting the best software.
If your current email marketing software is sluggish, outdated, or incompatible with the systems the sales team uses, brush up on your persuasion skills and prepare your budget request—it’s time for new software.
Let’s put it this way—34% of the world’s entire population uses email. That’s 3.8 billion people, and that number is expected to increase to nearly 4.4 billion within the next few years. To make things even more interesting, the world sends nearly 196 billion emails daily.
Do you personally know anyone who doesn’t have an email address? Probably not. For this reason, email is a huge part of a consumer’s everyday life.
What does this mean for your brand? Email marketing provides you a powerful way to tap into hundreds—if not thousands—of target customers to cover product announcements, incentives, company updates, and more.
It offers you the opportunity to build a one-on-one connection with your subscribers to convert them into loyal customers eventually.
If your email marketing software is outdated or malfunctioning, you’re missing out on the chance to build relationships with customers and increase your bottom line.
Your email marketing software will help determine how streamlined your strategy is and the type of content you can provide. In this digital age, you need efficient software that delivers on your subscriber’s expectations.
What does email marketing software need to include?
Once you’ve identified the need for a new email marketing software, you need to consider how that tool will function to meet your goals. What is a non-negotiable feature? How will this software boost your ROI?
If you’re looking to improve your sales goals through meaningful relationships, the first step is identifying the features that are necessary to help meet those goals and improve your team’s productivity. Potential features include:
- Drag and drop email builder: Save time by creating branded emails without needing coding experience
- Sign-up forms: Grow your list with subscribers who will engage with your emails and advocate for your brand
- Integrations and apps: Use data like purchase history, preferences, and more from third-party apps to deliver relevant content to subscribers
- Personalization and segmentation: Segment your audiences by demographics, so they feel special in a sea of other promotional emails
- A/B testing: Test CTA buttons, images, and subject lines to understand what works best for your audience
- Analytics: Analyze engagement rates to learn where to improve in future campaigns
- Marketing automation: Develop a customer journey that is triggered by the subscriber’s actions
- Deliverability: Reach the inbox every time you press ‘send’
Source: Really Good Emails
If your current email marketing platform isn’t delivering on the above features, it’s most likely time to upgrade your software.
After all, 60% of marketers agree that email plays a significant role in increasing ROI by 32%. It’s time to get in on that potential with modern technology!
Convince your boss it’s time for an upgrade to new email marketing software
While you understand the value of a modern email marketing software, your boss may not see the value—yet. This is your time to shine and explain all the benefits an upgraded email marketing software will provide to build loyalty, boost retention, and increase the bottom line.
Let’s look into two additional selling points to help persuade your boss into investing in a new software platform.
Explain in terms of dollars
To get funds approved for new software, you must prove to the financial decision-makers in your company that this is an investment, not an expense. Show how new software saves the company money, over the long haul.
Provide as many specific details as possible, such as:
- Software can automate X number of administrative marketing tasks that humans currently perform, thereby freeing-up Y number of working hours per month, for a total value of Z
- A good software package that can perform administrative tasks is essentially another employee – one that doesn’t require an annual salary or company benefits
- When sales and marketing teams use the same software, you eliminate hours wasted on reformatting files to be compatible with two systems and expedite communication between departments
- Demonstrate how new software equates to more customers
- If you don’t currently have the ability to see how customers interact with your content – either in your email marketing newsletters, on your website or on social media – you are missing out on some important information.
Sometimes, you may have to try a few different approaches before you create content that really resonates with a specific audience.
And that’s hard to do if you can’t see what they’re reading and responding to at every stage of the customer journey.
Software that identifies what people are reading in the consideration stage can help you create targeted messaging that gets the attention of those online “window-shoppers.”
Point out what the competition is doing
Can you find a competitor that’s harnessing the power of email marketing software to deliver engaging, cross-platform campaigns?
Because that’s a pretty good way to get management thinking about what will happen if you don’t get the new email marketing software you need.
Email marketing software saves time, eliminates cumbersome processes and helps you keep up with—or ahead of—the competition.
If you’re ready to change email marketing software or need some help convincing your boss, give us a call.